Thursday, January 17, 2013

Letting Go

My manuscripts are a lot like my kids, they're my babies. I find it hard to admit that my baby girl is in high school this year. It is even more frightening to realize that in less than four years she will be a high school graduate and off at college. I still think of her as my little bubbling baby girl toddling around the house. And while my daughter can, and will, protest that she is not a baby, my manuscripts cannot argue with me. They simply sit back as if waiting for me to admit they are ready to see the world.

This past Sunday was critique group Sunday. My favorite Sunday of the month. I love getting together with the ladies and discussing all things books, writing, and publishing. One of our main topics was what our immediate goals are. I walked into the meeting completely prepared to put very little on the table for my small goal. I have been suffering from neck pains and headaches for a while now, and therefore was afraid to really put much on my list of goals for this year.

But that all changed after talking to the wonderful ladies in my group. I have a completed, polished manuscript ready to go out into the world. But, for one reason or another I have held back from sending out queries on this particular manuscript. I had convinced myself that it would be a different project I would query this year, and only that one. Yet, after discussing projects and listening to everyone's goals I realized I have to let go. I have to try. Even if agents have already seen a lot of this particular type of story I should still attempt to get out there.

I continually convince myself it's not ready. Even though I have been doing a final read through this week and I am finding little to fix. Truth is, I need to get over this fear of mine and let it go. I need to try, see where it takes me. You never know if this is the one to land you an agent, or the one to give you more learning experience. It's worth a shot. Right?


Is it hard for you to let go of your manuscripts? Please tell me I'm not the only one. lol

4 comments:

  1. You're not alone. This is the "this is it" moment. But you're right. You'll never know unless you try. And not knowing is worse, I think. =)

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is definitely worse not knowing, always wondering. :-)

      Delete
  2. I think we believe that if we wait just a little longer, we will find the magic fairy dust we've been seeking. Have faith that you already have. You're a wonderful writer :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Toni!!! And you're right. It's like if I just go through it one more time, then one more time, maybe it will be perfect. But at the same time I'm not sure there is a such thing as perfect. :-)

      Delete